ZTL Bologna: how to get around by car
Although the city is well connected thanks to the motorways, driving in the city center is not easy and you have to be careful not to enter prohibited areas.
It should be noted that much of the old town is part of the ZTL, the limited traffic zone and that the access points of the ZTL are monitored by cameras.
How does ZTL works?
- Most of the city center of Bologna is part of the area, in this part of the city the circulation of vehicles is limited every day from 7 to 20.
- The various access points of the restricted traffic area are indicated by appropriate signs that comply with EU regulations. In addition, the license plates of vehicles accessing the area are photographed by the video surveillance service called SIRIO.
Who can circulate in the area?
- Basically access to the ZTL is allowed: bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars of customers of hotels located in the center (we suggest you contact the property before your arrival as the registration plate should be communicated to the municipal authorities) and vehicles hybrids or zero emissions (after having requested and received the appropriate mark at the tper desk).
- Vehicles for which the ticket for occasional access was purchased.
Where can I buy the ticket for the ZTL and how does it work?
- The ticket can be purchased at the points of tper, the transport company for Emilia Romagna. In Bologna, the points are as follows: VIA MARCONI in Via Marconi 4, ang. via Lame and BOLOGNA AUTOSTAZIONE in Piazza XX Settembre.
- There are two types of tickets, the daily one for the cost of 6 euros and the four-day ticket for the cost of 15 euros.
- Despite the correct validation of the ticket some areas remain prohibited, these are the areas surrounding the Archiginnasio, the T zone, the university area, via Azzo Gardino and other totally pedestrian areas.
- It is not enough to buy the ticket but you have to activate it, the detailed indications are shown on the back of the same but in essence it is to communicate the plate and the pin to the authorities. Warning: do not access before you receive confirmation of activation or you risk a fine!
ZTL of Bologna: the map of accesses and cameras
Who can circulate in the area?
The so-called T zone of Bologna takes its name from the shape of the roads that interest or via Indipendenza, via Rizzoli and via Ugo bassi. The area is of historical interest and is very popular for shopping. The zone T is controlled by the electronic system called RITA and as for the LTZ the accesses are video monitored.
In this case it is not possible to access, however, with the ticket. For this reason we advise you to carefully avoid driving your car in this area.
In addition, during the weekend (Saturday and Sunday to be clear) and during holidays, Tdays takes place. During the Tday the roads are reserved for pedestrians and cyclists, the passage of taxi and buses is also suspended.
Given the heavy influx of people to the city center, it becomes difficult to find a car park and we suggest you either find a private one or park your car in the suburbs.
If you need some advice about it, read: where to park in Bologna – the best car parks.
Now you know some more tips on how to get around in Bologna by car and we sincerely hope that this article has been helpful!